The right kind of flexibility
Workplace flexibility has come a long way in recent years. Starting out as a way to support working mothers and those with health issues it has developed into something more. In a post Fordist era, the individuality of employees is increasingly recognized and valued. Flexible working has become a way to accommodate a wide range of lifestyles and to reward workers.
Nevertheless, in the rush to embrace flexibility there is a risk of companies failing to recognize their own individuality. As Deloitte has highlighted in their Human Capital Trends paper, it is as important for a company to tailor its flexibility to its business strategy, as it is to tailor it to employees.
Links or other articles in this series:
- Article 1: The HR Economist
- Article 2: Open Talent Economy
- Article 3: Innovating the Talent Brand
- Article 4: The Right Kind of Flexibility
- Article 5: No More Supermen
- Article 6: Performance Management